May 10, 2012

Some Thoughts After 9 Months

Today marks the 9th month of my SALT journey. Time continues to fly by super fast, and although I have lots of things I want to share with my friends, family and church members back home, I never seem to have the time to do it.

About a month ago, all of the SALTers were asked to write responses to the following questions, and when we return to Akron, PA for our re-entry in July, we will receive a "yearbook" with everyone's responses. I thought I would share some of my (modified!) responses here on my blog.

First Impression (of assignment country/community, etc.):
Life in San Salvador is very different than life in Tavistock, or even life in Waterloo! 
There are people everywhere! Along with this, comes almost non-stop noise, from the traffic (and horn-honking!), vendors driving through the streets yelling “Platanos! Platanos!” into their megaphones, and the dogs, roosters, blaring music, and firecrackers going off at all times of the day or night.
I also noticed right away the friendliness and hospitality of the Salvadoran people, and fell in love with the beautiful landscape. When I step out of my house, I have a view of the gorgeous San Salvador volcano, and there are palm trees, beautiful plants, and flowers galore!


Relationship with God (Highlights/new insights or difficulties/struggles in your faith?):
These past months have been very inspiring to me, as I have seen many examples of Salvadorans living out their faith and actively working for peace and justice, from the example of the Salvadoran martyr Archbishop Oscar Romero, to the examples I see every day through my co-workers at ANADES (New Dawn Association).
At the same time, these past months have been hard for me. I have struggled to find God and see hope, in the midst of all the pain, suffering and injustices that I see here in San Salvador. These struggles will continue to stay with me. I will never be able to forget the things I have seen, and the stories I have heard, from my neighbours, friends, co-workers, host families, people on the street, and most of all, the precious and innocent kids at the daycare.


New Perspectives (How has your view of yourself, others & your home country changed after cross cultural service?):
It is hard to write this in just a paragraph...I am gaining new  perspectives every day! I have learned so many things about myself, as well as the strength of the Salvadoran people, and not to judge a book by the cover. 
I have learned the importance of really pushing myself to try new things and put myself into new situations. It is surprising that even living in a country that is totally different than what I grew up in, I can still fall into my comfort zone, which is sometimes a good thing, but usually not! When you are in your comfort zone, it is hard to see the injustices in the world, and even harder to work for justice and peace and building God’s Kingdom here on earth. And I have discovered that the best learning, and sometimes even the most fun, comes out of these experiences that at first glance, seem too scary or uncomfortable.
I am also learning how our individualist, consumerist and militaristic society in North America is connected with many of the hardships the majority of Salvadorans face every day, including violence, insecurity, gangs, drug cartels, migration, broken families, climate change, and poverty.


Future Plans (What might you do next, when you return home?):
Look for a job! I’m also thinking of heading back to school, either to get my Masters in Social Work or pursue Early Childhood Education. And I would love to return to Central America, and volunteer with MCC again!


What single word best describes this year for you? Explain why – in a sentence or two.
Relationships!
This has been the most rewarding part of SALT: although not always easy (both the building of friendships, as well as being in relationship with people who have such different life experiences than I do), the relationships I have made with my host families, co-workers, and the kids and their parents at the daycare, have given me an incredible amount of love, laughter, joy, hope and inspiration!  

No comments:

Post a Comment